Atty. Gen. Josh Shapiro has asked the legislature to take action to help alleviate staffing shortages in police and emergency services and help communities provide public safety services. Shapiro’s plan includes:
- Expansion of Act 89 funding for the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission to cover the entire cost to train a local officer;
- $6,000 signing bonus for new officers and public safety personnel;
- $1,200 in hero pay for first responders and 911 operators;
- Creation of new scholarships for Act 120 training;
- Expansion of outreach and recruitment efforts for the next generation of first responder.