Shapiro Calls for Police and First Responder Funding
Atty. Gen. Josh Shapiro has asked the legislature to take action to help alleviate staffing shortages in police and emergency services and help communities provide public safety services. Shapiro’s plan includes:
- Expansion of Act 89 funding for the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission to cover the entire cost to train a local officer;
- $6,000 signing bonus for new officers and public safety personnel;
- $1,200 in hero pay for first responders and 911 operators;
- Creation of new scholarships for Act 120 training;
- Expansion of outreach and recruitment efforts for the next generation of first responder.