Road and Bridge Safety Improvement Awards
Purpose: To recognize townships that have undertaken road or bridge improvement projects to increase public safety.
The contest is sponsored by PSATS, the Pennsylvania Highway Information Association, and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, and awards are presented at PSATS’ Annual Educational Conference each April in Hershey.
Eligible Projects: Road and bridge improvement projects in which all or most of the work was completed within the previous year are eligible for the contest. The competition recognizes not only major, high-cost projects, but also any improvements that have increased public safety.
How to Enter: Application brochures are mailed to townships in December/January. Townships must complete the form and return it to PennDOT by the indicated deadline.
Entries must include the following:
- A brief introduction, overview, or summary of the project. Be succinct and brief but provide the basic information about the municipality involved, location, timeframe, etc.
- Photos of the completed project. (“Before” photos are helpful but not mandatory.)
- Contact information for the person who can answer any follow-up questions and receive notification of any awards won.
Judging Criteria: Judges will look at how the project improved safety for motorists, pedestrians, and/or other roadway users; how the funding package was put together and funds were allocated; how the project benefited the community and/or the local economy; and how the project fit into the township’s comprehensive plan and how the township worked with other government units, organizations, businesses, etc. to complete the project.
All projects must comply with PennDOT Publication 408 standards.
Deadline for Entry: The nomination period is closed.
For more information:
- Check back in December 2020 for the guidelines and entry form.
- Contact Brenda Wilt, PSATS Assistant Editor, phone (717) 763-0930, ext. 123, email firstname.lastname@example.org.