Reminder: DUNS Number Required for Reporting Rescue Funds 

Township officials may notice certain interest groups and vendors attempting to provide guidance on the new federal funds that municipalities will receive in a few weeks. Some may be appealing to larger municipalities or counties and provide guidance that may not apply to your township. 

As reported last week, all municipalities that receive federal funds through the American Recovery Plan (ARP) will need to have a valid DUNS number to meet reporting requirements under the program. Dun & Bradstreet provides DUNS numbers, which are unique nine-digit identification numbers.   

If your township already has a DUNS number, you do not need to do anything further. If your township does not have a DUNS number, now is the time to request one. DUNS numbers are free when required to register with the U.S. government for grants. Click here  or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process.  

Only municipalities with populations of more than 50,000 (entitlement communities) are required to have an active SAM registration in place to receive the funds. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with to do business with the U.S. government. SAM registrations must be renewed annually. In addition, only entitlement communities need to provide confidential account information to the federal government. To learn more, click here.   

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available. We anticipate US Treasury guidelines to be released ahead of schedule any day now. 

Scroll to Top