U.S. Treasury Rules to Require DUNS Number for Reporting Rescue Funds

The U.S. Treasury has provided guidance that all municipalities that receive federal funds through the American Rescue Plan (ARP) will need to have a valid DUNS number to meet reporting requirements under the program. Dun & Bradstreet provides DUNS numbers, which are unique nine-digit identification numbers.  

If your township already has a DUNS number, you do not need to do anything further. If you are not sure if you have a DUNS number, you can use the company look-up feature here.  

If your township does not currently have a DUNS number, now is the time to request one. DUNS numbers are free for entities required to register with the U.S. government for grants. Click here  or call 1-866-705-5711 to begin the registration process. 

Municipalities with populations of more than 50,000 (entitlement communities) must also ensure that they have an active SAM registration in place to receive the funds. SAM is the official government-wide database to register with to do business with the U.S. government. SAM registrations must be renewed annually. To learn more, click here.  

Treasury is expected to release additional guidance for ARP funds over the coming weeks, and  PSATS will continue to keep you informed.  

Scroll to Top