July 9 Bridge Showcase Moved to July 18
Please note that due to a construction delay, the GRS Bridge Showcase originally scheduled for July 9 is being moved to July 18. We will automatically move your registration to the new date if you are able to attend.
- Event: PennDOT Local Bridge Showcase
- New Date: Thursday July 18, 2013
- Registration: Free (Click here for details.)
- Location: Fairfield Inn & Suites, 2219 Bee Line Highway, Dubois, PA
The Federal Highway Administration, along with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s Local Technical Assistance Program, is hosting this free event to discuss the geosynthetic reinforced soil integrated bridge system (GRS-IBS) and showcase a GRS-IBS project in Sandy Township, Clearfield County.
GRS-IBS is an engineered fill of closely spaced, alternating layers of compacted granular fill material and geosynthetic reinforcement. It's a fast, cost-effective method of bridge support that blends the roadway into the superstructure.
GBS-IBS offers real value, including:
- reduced construction time and cost, with savings of 25 to 60 percent;
- easy construction with common equipment and readily available materials;
- flexible design that can be modified in the field for unforeseen site conditions; and
- minimal environmental impacts
Attendees will participate in a one-hour presentation by FHWA and PennDOT experts, followed by a Q&A. Vans will then transport attendees to the project site and return them to the meeting facility. Technical topics will include:
- an overview of the FHWA Every Day Counts Program and fundamentals of GRS-IBS
an overview of the Sandy Township, Clearfield County, GRS-IBS project, Including:
- site considerations
- plans and details
- materials and specifications
- a project site visit, where attendees will see the ongoing construction process, equipment, and the construction materials being used.
Click here for more information and to download a registration form. There is no registration fee, but preregistration is required.
Four sessions, approximately two hours each, will be held on July 18 at the following times:
- 7 a.m. Session 1
- 9 a.m. Session 2
- 11 a.m. Session 3
- 1 p.m. Session 4*
*NOTE: One shuttle will be provided from Cumberland County for Session 4 only. SEATING IS LIMITED to 25 persons.